An internship is a great way to gain job experience and pump up your resume. Unfortunately, many people miss out on awesome internship opportunities. Some think there are no opportunities in their field, while others refuse to work for free (many internships are unpaid). Even if you can't find an internship that matches your exact career goals, or have to accept an unpaid position, the experience you gain is well worth it.
Here are some of the top reasons why you should get an internship:
- The place you intern may offer you a full-time job.
- Employers pay a lot of attention to internship experience.
- You can learn new, marketable skills while working.
- An internship helps you network with people in your field.
- Most colleges / universities offer credit for internships.
- Internships help you hone your interests within your chosen field.
Now is the best time to look for Spring 2009 opportunities, and some companies are already looking for Summer 2009 interns as well. MonsterTRAK and InternJobs are two great sites to search for openings. Also, review this guide for finding an internship. Good Luck!