Earth Day is right around the corner (April 22) and it's time to start thinking about how you can go green. One great option is to use your car less and ride your bike more. Not only does this reduce greenhouse gas emissions, but it can also save you money at the pump. Plus, biking is great cardiovascular exercise and can help you get into shape for the upcoming bathing suit season.
Here are some more reasons to start biking this spring:
- Bike riding has been proven to relieve stress and anxiety.
- A moderate bike ride can burn more than 500 calories in an hour!
- A bike can go places, like trails, that a car could never go.
- The average commuter bike (one used for casual riding) costs between $80 and $300. That's much cheaper than buying a new car!
- In high-traffic areas, a bike can be faster than a car.
- New laws and designated routes means biking is safer than ever.